Monday, 29 April 2013

Action in the frame.

Strategic Action earned more prize money when finishing third in a one mile handicap on the polytrack at Lingfield (29/4/2013).  Ridden by Robert Havlin he settled on the outside in midfield until making an effort turning for home.  He took third place entering the final furlong but was unable to make any impression on the two leaders, going down by a neck and two and three quarter lengths.

Saturday, 27 April 2013

Saturday Breakfast Fizz.

The usual Saturday breakfast with owners was made all the more lively (20/4/2013) with celebration champagne, following Red Anchor's victory.

More success for Red Anchor.

The decision not to wait for Plumpton next week, but take the chance at Fontwell before the ground dried out, proved to be the right one!

Red Anchor made it two wins this spring when he triumphed in a two and a half mile handicap chase at Fontwell Park (19/4/2013). There were concerns that the ground might be drying too quickly but, after checking the course, he was allowed to take his chance. He tracked the pace setter, in the nine strong field, at a fair gallop. The leader blundered five fences from home and Red Anchor took over. A group of four runners pulled away and, with Red Anchor consistently jumping well at a relentless gallop, he took the last in the lead and stayed on to win by 4 lengths at odds of 16/1, and claimed the £3000+ prize.

Decisions, decisions.

This morning (13/4/2013) illustrated the problems that can face us at this time of year. When some owners joined us for Saturday breakfast this morning, we discussed entry options for one of their horses. He prefers soft ground and is looking to have one more run this season, but where? Fontwell, next week, should provide the ground but Plumpton and Huntingdon the following week have better race options. Should we wait for them, and risk the ground drying out ending his season, or should we go where the ground is right and run in a less suitable race? Covering all options will cost the owner £40+ for each entry. Luckily the owner is very understanding and between us we believe we have made the correct decisions. Time will tell.